Wellness Fitness II Cookbook Sample
Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Ingredients: - 1 can (16 oz) black beans
- ½ green bell pepper, inhalves
- ½ an onion, cut into halves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- I T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili sauce or hot sauce
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
-In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
-In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
-Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
-If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
What makes this recipe good for you?
A black bean burger is a healthy alternative to a traditional hamburger. Typically, hamburgers are made with ground beef, which could be high in fat if the ratio of lean beef to fat is lower than 85/15. The burger has only 300 calories, and also provides 7g of sugar, 1 g of saturated fat, while also providing the body with 10g of dietary fiber, as well as 12 g of protein. What also makes this burger great is that you can cook it on the stove or cook it out on the grill. It’s a food that is not only healthy for you, but it tastes great too