The R.E.A.D. ProjectThe R.E.A.D. Project is a marking period long assignment in which you must read ONE out-side-of-school historical fiction/nonfiction/biography /autobiography/memoir book and complete a product. This year you are required to read TWO BOOKS TOTAL, each in a different marking period.
Read Elaborate Analyze Discuss
You have from the beginning of a marking period to select a book (from school library or outside source), have the book approved by me, read the book, and choose a product from the R.E.A.D. Choice Board available below. Your Choice Board product is due ONE WEEK before the marking period is over (see the calendar ICON for marking period closing dates.)
Each product choice from the Choice Board has a set of standard requirements that your product must posses in order to pass the assignment. Each product choice also has individual project requirements that you must have in addition to the standard requirements. R.E.A.D. products should be creative, exhibit effort, and demonstrate to me that you have actually READ the book you selected. These elements will determine your grade for the R.E.A.D project.
The R.E.A.D. Project is worth 100pts weighing in the marking period you select to do it in. You may choose any of the four marking periods to do your R.E.A.D Project, however, some marking periods might be better suited than others. Because our Research Paper weighs heavily in two marking periods of the year, you may want to complete the R.E.A.D Project in the other two marking periods. However, for some students, the R.E.A.D Project may help struggling Research Paper grades.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SELECT TWO MARKING PERIODS IN WHICH YOU WILL COMPLETE THIS PROJECT. ONE DAY EACH MARKING PERIOD WILL BE RESERVED FOR BOOK SELECTION AND QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PROJECT.
When you select a marking period that you wish to complete a R.E.A.D Project, you must let me know FIRST. You may do this when you bring a text to be approved. Once you have COMMITTED that marking period to a R.E.A.D. Project, you must complete the project. If you do not, you will receive a zero. The R.E.A.D Project is an individual assignment. No two students in a class may read the same book.
Please make sure you check the due date of your book if you check it out of the library!!! Try to avoid late fees by renewing your book before it expires!!
Read books you are interested in!!! It will make this project fun and not torture ;)
Below is the Choice Board for different products you may pick for your project. You must do a different product for each book you read. You will also find the grading rubric at the bottom of the page.
R.E.A.D. Project – Product Choice Board
**Must choose a DIFFERENT PRODUCT per semester **Each Product MUST Include the following:
Book Review of Historical Accuracy
Discussion of Historical Perspective
Recommendation of book to Others
Tie to Today’s Society
Meet the Author
- Role Play the Author.
- Explain your book to the group. Make sure you cover the above items.
- Entertain questions from the group.
- Bonus – visual images (self or props)
- Write a standard Book Report.
- Add information listed above into report.
- Include visual images.
Flyer or Pamphlet
- Create an informational pamphlet or flyer.
- Include all the required information.
- Include visual images
- Create a poster with text and visual images that cover the required items.
- Create a picture/photo collage with images related to your book and topic.
- Pictures and additional text/explanations should cover all the required items.
- Write a Poem or Song that explains your book.
- Include extra textual items if all required elements are not covered in the song/poem
- Create a graphic organizer (Inspiration) that webs the required information.
- Include visual images.
- Create a PowerPoint slideshow.
- Include both text and visual images to cover all the required items.
- Create a game that incorporates the required items.
- Game should be a combination of text and visual images.
- Ex. Memory Game, Monopoly for specific place or event, etc.
R.E.A.D. Grading Rubric
R.E.A.D. Project Product
Plot Summary: 20
Tie to today: 10
Historical Accuracy: 20
Historical Perspective: 20